Friday, February 11, 2011

Damned Zombies

So recently I picked up on my Nook (yay digital readers) a copy of Zombies Vs Unicorns.  This was a damned good read for something I picked up on a whim because of the funny title. 

Being a fantasy buff of course I know a lot about both sides of this "debate" and while all of the stories were well written I could not help but find myself falling into my own prejudices in terms of fantasy monsters.  Namely... well let me be blunt, ever since I was a child I have loved one and only one type of creature above all others.  DRAGONS.  So while the authors of Zombies Vs Unicorns debated I kept thinking: "Feh, a good Dragon would roast BOTH sides and then sit down and laugh about it later."

Anyway, what has this got to do with the post title?

Has anyone ever heard of an Egyptian beast called "Eater of the Dead?" 

 Her proper name of course is Ammit, also known as “Devourer of the Dead,” “Eater of Hearts,” and “Great of Death.”  Not a deity per se, but still a powerful being that was part of the final judgment of souls entering the afterlife in Egyptian Mythology.  Simply put, when you died, your heart/soul was taken by Anubis and weighed against a feather.  This feather was purity and truth in a solid form, and if your heart was NOT pure, well Anubis would snatch it up and toss the sucker down the gullet of Ammit there.  You were cursed to NEVER find eternal rest and in many ways destroyed outright.

O.K. so we have some weird beast that was part lion, hippo, and crocodile that would cause ultimate obliteration of the dead if they were not pure...

This is how my brain works...  Lets take that idea, say a world is in the midst of a "Zombie Apocalypse," and then have a scientist genetically engineer a whole new breed of animal that not only can fight the zombies but like to... say... EAT THE DEAD and cause their TOTAL OBLITERATION?

Yeah...  I think I have a short story idea here.  I may post it later, but my question for folks is simply this...  how do you feel about a Zombie story that deals with something that could actually defeat the hordes of undead?  A zombie story with hope?

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment